Astronauts Christina Koch and Anne McClain have been scheduled to walk out the International Space Station on March 29, but only Koch goes ahead with it. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration on Tuesday said it no longer plans to conduct the first all-female spacewalk mentioning lack of availability of spacesuits in the right size. Before This month, NASA had declared that astronauts Christina Koch and Anne McClain will walk out the International Space Station on March 29, which could have made it the first all-female spacewalk 35 years following a female first took part in one.
The two astronauts were scheduled to install new batteries in the station. There were 214 spacewalks in the International Space Station since 1998 for repair, maintenance, testing of new equipment, among others. Spacewalk teams so far have either been all male or male-female. McClain took part in the 214th spacewalk of the bureau on March 22 with astronaut Nick Hague. But during this spacewalk, McClain learned that a moderate sized hard upper torso matches her best. Since only one moderate size torso could be made ready by Friday, Koch will wear it, NASA said. Hague will accompany Koch for the forthcoming expedition.
McClain is scheduled to execute her following spacewalk on Apr 8 with the Canadian astronaut of the space agency David Saint Jacques, he added. Soviet cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya became the first woman to participate in a spacewalk on July 25, 1984, Reuters had reported. More than 500 individuals have been to space, however, less than 11% were feminine. Only 12 women have done a spacewalk because Savitskaya and Koch will become the 14th girl to do so.